Thursday, December 27, 2012

My First Instructables Post!

If you are skimming, my instructables pages can be found here.

If you want a small explanation and summary of the project, please, continue........  :)


For my Tangible Interactive Computing Class (838F) our final project had to include, among other things, an Instructables page on the site www.instructables.com.  The creation of this page was to replace the typical research paper that usually accompanies a term project.  The idea was to force us to create a step-by-step document of how we built our projects.  The recent explosion of open source hardware/DIY makers is fostered by such websites and blogs where people share their experiences working with hardware such as the Arduino.  




Our project (myself and Preeti Bhargava) was, to put it simply, a personal informatics black box that you clip onto your belt.  As you go about your day your activity, surrounding environment and locations are tracked to produce a report telling you how much time you spent inside and outside.  The device leverages off of a system-of-systems providing context-aware analysis for such ubiquitous computing devices.  We make sense the raw data signals from the multitude of sensors through our back-end system that uses many external API calls, home-grown context-aware systems and AI decision tree analysis. 












A brief video explanation of our project:




We in the class all agreed it would be a great idea to post something to the site vs. a research paper, but I believe we were all surprised at how receptive and supporting the community is!  Four of of the seven projects (you can view all seven here) were eventually featured on the front page of the site!  Our page currently has over 20,000 views!



So, if you haven't checked out our step-by-step process yet, please do!  It shows how the hardware was made, including the soldering involved, the 3D-printing and end product.  I hope you are somewhat inspired or excited to explore this area of DIY hardware hacking.  I know I feel empowered as a result of the projects that I contributed to in this semester-long class.  As a CS Master's/PHD student I typically took the hardware of the systems I was working with at face value.  I now know I can not only create the software that runs and extracts data from hardware but also design my own hardware and sensor systems!

I thank Dr. Jon Froehlich for that hardware liberation!

No comments:

Post a Comment